The most beautifully designed website means nothing without being functional. It is as important for the user to have a good on-line experience as it is in the physical world. Bad experiences not only mean that a user does not become a client but that they will convey a bad experience to their peer group. Good experiences multiply whereas bad experiences multiply, only faster.
If a website delivers a pleasing experience it will encourage new business and those clients, in turn, will become advocates for the business. This is something that even the best advertising cannot achieve.
The main point is create a Strategy and Planning. They are integral in building an outstanding web presence. The right Strategy is based on clearly identified Business Objectives. This information is gathered in the research phase. The next step is to construct a brief that outlines what will be delivered and how.
The brief allows the team to work towards the desired outcomes. Questions in the brief include:-
- Why are we building a website?
- Who is the target audience and what interests them?
- How do we communicate with them effectively?
- What do we want the target audience to do?
- Who are our competitors and what are they doing?
- How do we convey information clearly and logically
- How does the design fit with our brand strategy?
The final question is “what can we do to surprise and delight the audience”.